- coagulans probiotics have not been approved by the FDA for medical use and generally lack solid clinical research. Regulations set manufacturing standards for them but don’t guarantee that they’re safe or effective. Speak with your doctor before supplementing.
1) Gut Health
In multiple clinical trials, B. coagulans decreased bloating, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and stool frequency and increased the quality of life in patients with diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) [3, 4, 5, 6].
A combination of simethicone and B. coagulans reduced bloating and discomfort in patients with IBS .
- coagulans elevates beneficial bacteria (Faecalibacterium prausnitzii, Clostridium lituseburense, Bacillus spp. and Eubacterium rectale) levels in volunteers. This, in turn, results in elevated concentrations of butyrate, acetate, and propionate .
Daily consumption of B. coagulans in elderly increased populations of beneficial bacteria and anti-inflammatory cytokines .
- coagulans spores beneficially modulate GI microbiota, by increasing lactic acid bacteria (LAB) and decreasing Enterobacteriaceae in rats .
- coagulans decreased coliform counts and increased both Lactobacilli and Bacillus spore counts in rats .
- coagulans + fructooligosaccharide (FOS) decreased abdominal pain duration and frequency in children with GI disorders .
- coagulans synbiotic seems to be effective in the treatment of childhood functional abdominal pain .
- coagulans significantly improved abdominal pain and the quality of life in adults with postprandial intestinal gas-related symptoms and no GI diagnoses .
- coagulans symbiotic effectively improved bowel movements and fecal properties in functionally constipated persons .
- coagulans added to mineral oil can increase the improvement in constipationsymptoms of children without specific side-effects .
- coagulans improved survival and modestly attenuated the colonic pathology (crypt damage, edema, leukocyte influx) in mice with C. difficile-induced colitis[17, 18].
2) Blood Sugar & Insulin
- coagulans containing a synbiotic decreased bloodinsulinlevels; HOMA-IR and HOMA-B in pregnant women .
Similarly, consumption of the synbiotic bread with B. coagulans improved NO and MDA levels in T2D patients .
- coagulans, inulinandbeta-carotene coadministration decreased insulin, HOMA-IR, HOMA-B, triglycerides, VLDL-cholesterol levels, and total-/HDL-cholesterol ratio. This treatment also elevated plasma nitric oxide (NO) and glutathione (GSH) .
3) Blood Lipids
- coagulans reduced total blood cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, and marginally increased HDL-cholesterol in a small-scale clinical study of 17 patients [27, 28].
Researchers are currently investigating whether B. coagulans has other health benefits. The potential benefits in this section have produced positive results in at least one clinical trial, but these studies are small, contradictory, or otherwise limited. Talk to your doctor before supplementing with B. coagulans for any reason.
4) Muscle Recovery
In a small clinical study, B. coagulans in combination with protein reduced muscle damage and soreness, improved recovery and maintained physical performance in athletes after strenuous exercise .
In the same study, B. coagulans enhanced protein absorption, a potential mechanism for indirectly improving recovery and training adaptations .
Increase in vertical jump power was noted following 8 weeks of full body workouts 4-times per week daily while ingesting B. coagulans .
5) Rheumatoid Arthritis
Adjunctive treatment with B. coagulans was safe and effective for patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. B. coagulans improved pain, improved self-assessed disability, reduced CRP levels, and improved the ability to walk 2 miles, reach, and participate in daily activities .
- coagulans significantly inhibits fibrinogen(Fn), blood amyloid A and pro-inflammatory cytokine production in arthritic rats .
7) Feeding Tolerance in Infants
Preterm infants supplemented with B. coagulans had improved feeding tolerance .
8) Urogenital Infections
- coagulans reduced vaginosis symptoms in women when co-administered with antibiotics .
- coagulans metabolites stimulate the maturation of antigen-presenting cells  and increase T-cell production of TNF-alphain response to adenovirus exposure and influenza A exposure in healthy adults .
- coagulans ameliorates parasite infection, hepatic and intestinal damage, in Schistosoma mansoni infected mice .
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.